- Near West Campus
What You'll Find Here:
- Residence hall rooms
- Hillcrest Market
- Hillcrest Market Place
- Fitness center
Wireless Access - Coverage throughout the building.
Built during Eugene Gilmore’s presidency (1934–1940), Hillcrest Hall originally housed 250 men on four floors. Expansion the next year and in years following increased the number of students it could accommodate, making Hillcrest the largest dormitory on campus until the construction of Burge Hall in 1959. The building was historically popular as a home for student-athletes because of its proximity to the Field House. It is now the center for residence food services on the west side of campus, housing a comprehensive dining facility renovated and modernized in 2001.
Hillcrest occupies one of the highest bluffs in Iowa City, a dramatic perch from which the dormitory overlooks Main Campus across the river. The building’s design emphasizes its lofty site, using ornamental spur buttresses (visible on the south wing’s east façade) as vertical accents. This feature acknowledges the dominant Collegiate Gothic character of architecture on the West Campus, which is derived from the colleges at Oxford and Cambridge. The style also has as hallmarks projecting bay windows, seen on the east façade, as well as the limestone-framed windows that adorn it. Stone is used for detailing elsewhere but most extensively in this section. Above, a brick parapet disguises service elements located on the roof. Hillcrest was completed just two years before the outbreak of World War II, and its mildly Gothic style was the last example of historicism in architecture to appear on the UI campus. Already by 1942 when South Quadrangle was built, the last vestige of Gothic Revival detailing had been scraped away.