What You'll Find Here
- Chief Diversity Office
- Finance and Operations
- General Counsel
- Geographical and Sustainability Sciences
- Governmental Relations, Office of
- Iowa One Card (University ID)
- Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- Office of the President
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Registrar
- University Business Office
- Urban and Regional Planning
Jessup Hall originally housed the Departments of Education, Commerce, and English. When the latter moved to the English-Philosophy Building in 1970, President Willard L. Boyd transferred his office from Old Capitol to the more spacious vacated administrative suite, which was a model of Spartan frugality. The standard office desk, linoleum floor, and throw rug were alleviated only by a painting borrowed from the Museum of Art. In addition to the Office of the President, Jessup now also houses the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost. Its current name honors one of the University’s most visionary leaders, Walter Jessup. The twelfth president of the University of Iowa (1916–1934), Jessup presided over the grandest building campaign in University history, including the completion of the Pentacrest buildings and the campus’s westward expansion across the Iowa River.
Reflecting the creative variation on the Ionic order seen throughout the Pentacrest, Jessup Hall defines an internal campus green with Macbride Hall and provides a harmonious finale for the Beaux-Arts Classicism of the four buildings flanking Old Capitol. On its east face, a simple design with two-story-high pilasters contrasts with the drama of Macbride’s facing rotunda, while nodding at ancient imperial Roman architecture with the geometric grillwork above the two entrances. The north and south end façades present a more ornamented style than the adjacent MacLean Hall, replacing that building’s pilasters with columns and powerful Michelangelesque scrolls (consoles) visually buttressing the attic level. Deeply carved horizontal channels at foundation level and columns on the west façade make a strong impression, nicely recapitulating MacLean’s west façade and enframing Old Capitol as viewed from the river valley approach. The lamps flanking the west entrance also repeat those in a comparable position on MacLean. They are five-globed fantasies on the Ionic column, the dominant motif of the Proudfoot and Bird Pentacrest buildings. The attention given to all four sides of Jessup is consistent with the overall design of the Pentacrest.
The building is accessible to persons with disabilities.