North Hall

North Hall

What You'll Find Here

  • Art Education studios
  • Aging Studies Program
  • Center for the Book
  • Research Information Systems 
  • School of Social Work
  • Space Place Theater
  • Wild Bill’s Coffeeshop

Amenities

Abbreviation: 
NH
Number: 
0035
Address: 
20 West Davenport Street
Formal Name: 
North Hall
Year: 
1925
Architect: 
Proudfoot, Bird and Rawson, Des Moines, Iowa
Historical: 

At the time of North Hall’s construction, another building on campus already bore that name. Opened in the 1860s and not demolished until 1949, the previous structure was used as a science facility and library and was located on the Pentacrest. The present North Hall was built to house University High School, an experimental school founded in 1916. Until it closed in 1972, the school’s core faculty of graduate students provided an evolving, progressive curriculum to children from Iowa City and its nearby environs. Now home to the School of Social Work, North Hall has a small café, Wild Bill’s, that employs and benefits persons with disabilities. The story of Bill Sackter, after whom the café is named, was the subject of a television movie, Bill, starring Mickey Rooney.
An unpretentious and relatively utilitarian building, North Hall continues Main Campus North’s string of red-brick buildings designed by Proudfoot, Bird and Rawson. With its modest entrance bay and the restriction of detailing to limestone quoins, it is also one of the least ornamented. Both the upper and lower entrances are crowned by plaques announcing the building’s former life as a school, and North Hall as a whole has a reticence in keeping with that history. One whimsical and enigmatic touch, a pair of doubled X’s, is executed in brickwork on the east façade.

Summary: 

The building is accessible to persons with disabilities with the exception of the sub-basement which houses studios of the Art Education department. For access to activities located in this area call (319) 335-3012.

Entrances: 
The main entrance on the east side of the building is accessible and is equipped with a power door opener. This entrance provides access to the third floor of the building. An accessible secondary entrance is located at the northeast corner of the second level and provides a route for wheelchair traffic through the building and down the hill to the north. This entrance is also equipped with a power door opener.
Parking: 
The nearest identified accessible parking is located in the North Campus Parking Ramp directly to the south. The vehicular entrance to the parking ramp is located at the north end of Madison Street. Exit the parking ramp to the east to access North Hall and North Capitol Street.
Restrooms: 
An accessible restroom for each sex is located on the third floor. The men's restroom is Room 312 and the women's restroom is Room 314.
Elevators: 
The building elevator is located on the south side of the main building corridor.